Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on reporting on various pieces of information

Status
Not open for further replies.

saragosti

Programmer
Jan 19, 2012
CA
Hi there,
I'm new to Cognos, but I have to turn an excel sheet that we often use into a Cognos report, in order to save a few hours a week.

The excel form of the report has a recap page where we find totals of each page one cell below the other.

I'm trying to do the same thing, without writing a query that contains all other queries, connecting them with a union, and putting them in a cross-tab.

Is there a simple way of doing this?

Thanks,
Eric

A union would only be viable if the query structure is the same for all queries. I do not think there is a very simple solution, though using singletons it may be quite straight forward.

This would require the duplication of each query where the duplicate ONLY returns the total to be displayed. A set of singleton queries can then be used to populate a tablestructure to display the overall totals within a grid

Ties Blom

I looked up singletons, and they seem like the perfect solution to what I'm trying to do, however I don't see it in my design studio or in the help.
Is it possible that they don't exist in version 8.2?

Correct, Version 8.2 is 3 versions older than the current one and does not support singletons. I am quite sure that 8.2 is no longer supported (since some years) and is also not compatible with the latest versions of IE explorer. An upgrade would be benificial. Version 8.4.1. supports IE 8 and is a pretty good release.

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back