Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on Output indicator pos 21-29 in O-spec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ju5

Programmer
May 25, 2007
PH
The presence of a N on Position 21 of the Output Specs has me a bit confused. I know that putting an indicator number on pos 22-23 means that the line should be printed if the indicator is on.

Does having a indicator preceded by N in the O-spec mean the line should be printed if the indicator is NOT on?

Does having a indicator preceded by N in the O-spec mean the line should be printed if the indicator is NOT on?
[\quote]

Yes. That's what it means. It's an old-school way of controlling variable output. It is normally paired with the same indicator indicating what should be printed when it is ON.

Yea, baby,, you have to go all the way back to RPG (First), this is conditional printing, before printing was done "on demand". You find this in the "C" specs also,, ie N21,, is when indicator 21 is not on. An example would be if N21,, this would mean some error condition, and print an error message.

Yea, baby,, you have to go all the way back to RPG (First)

System/360 RPG and System/3-15D for me. Those were the days. The RPG cycle; using (and abusing) all 99 indicators and needing more. Indicator reuse was such a pain as it could cause unpredictable results if you weren't careful.

not to mention the 96 column cards,, triple stacked one on top of the other,, plus all those little round pieces of card stock used as confetti,, bring them back baby,, or the system 32,, a half room sized PC,, oh yea..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back