Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on Oracle ODBC Connections for multiple users

Status
Not open for further replies.

starbird

IS-IT--Management
Jun 12, 2002
US
Hello.

I have an Access 2000 database that links to some Oracle tables. I want to share this database on a server, but when I do, anyone else who tries to access the table gets an error that they aren't connected. all the users have the rights to view the Oracle tables, so I am not sure as to what my next steps should be. I know I could go around to everyone's machine, install the ODBC driver, and then show them how to use the link table manager to connect, but this is not really a solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hi,
I'm afraid you will have to go around to their machines.
If you have linked the tables using ODBC, then you must have set up a Data Source through the Control Panel on your machine(specifying the server name, database name etc). This data source is stored along with the linked tables so when someone tries to open them it looks for this.
Each user trying to open these linked tables will need Oracle ODBC drivers and the data source set up on their PC. There will be no need for them to re-link tables once the name of their data source is the same as yours.
Good Luck.

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of.

Maybe I can get a trip to our Ireland office out of it!!

;)

Thanks again!

It's worth a try and as you can see we're very well up on ODBC here in Ireland!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back