Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

** Question on Moving Exchange **

Status
Not open for further replies.

dw1112

MIS
Jan 25, 2003
HK
Dear all,

I have an IBM Exchange 2000 email server with 2 SCSI Harddisks (73.4GB - Ultra 160) Mirror and nearly full.

I also have a new Email Server with (Xero CPU, 1GB Ram, 34GB x 5 Ultra 320) and I also have installed the Exchange on it (no mailbox - still new).

My question is:
I need to upgrade the email server harddisk size. There is two solution under my consideration:

1. Buy and Insert a new 73.4GB harddisk on IBM and reformat the email server and restore all email from Tape and change it to Raid 5.

2. or Restore all email from Tape to a new email server and then unplug the old IBM server.

What will you choose ???

I am now choose choice 2, as it is much safty. If there is some accident happen under restore data, I can plug the old one again so no email will loss.

What do you think ?

Another easy way to do this is with the Move Mailbox option with Exchange 2000 and Active Directory. This will move the users mailbox, and automatically point them to the correct server if they are using the Corperate/Workgroup version of Outlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back