Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on Modem IP/Gateway IP conflict

Status
Not open for further replies.

beakerboy

Technical User
May 31, 2001
US
I have DSL service from Bellsouth. My service is a static IP, but that IP address is handed out by a DHCP server. The server hands out the following:

WAN IP Address 65.5.248.x
Gateway IP Address 68.152.239.152
Netmask: 255.255.0.0

Now my understanding of network protocols says this shouldn't work because 65.5.x.x with a netmask of 255.255.0.0 ~SHOULD~ mean my gateway also has 65.5.x.x....correct? If I try to configure my DSL modem to do IP Passthrough to my Macbook, it doesn't work. Typing in the values manually into the mac's Network config presents an error saying the gateway is outside the range allowable IP addresses.

Does anyone know any tricks to pass this IP through properly? Bellsouth tech support is clueless as to what I'm asking for. I asked for a new IP address in the 68.152.x.x range or a gateway IP with a 65.5.x.x and they said they can't do it.

Thanks,
Kevin

They probably have their gateway a few hops into their network---you are correct in your assumption, but that should not affect YOUR gateway and YOUR port forwarding---what you want is to port forward, or static NAT. You may want to look into a Cisco adsl router, like a 837 (relatively cheap on Ebay, like $100), or an 877W if you want wireless. I have yet to see a modem that can actually port forward, but I have not seen any newer ones (like 5 years or newer...).

Burt

I put so much effort into getting IP Passthrough to work that I didn't even think about port forwarding. I set my wireless router to port-forward http and ssh from my server and all is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back