Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on how to make system hack safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

March71

Technical User
Feb 16, 2006
US
Hi, guys!

I just got a call from a customer (cics 6.1 with call pilot) who was told by the service provider that international long distance calls were made from their phone lines. They were also told (and I've heard it before) that the voicemail might have been compromised.

Questions:
1. Aside from changing the cp pswd, and outbound transfers (there are non currently) any other areas I should check?
2. I've also changed the default config pswd on the system, just in case. by the way, the irad is not active either.
3. Has anyone ever actually experienced this problem? what did you do?

thanks in advance!

Don't use easily guessed passwords. I'd also recommend having all mailbox owners change their passwords to 8 digits. Also disable outbound transfers from all mailbox class-of-service profiles.

Brian Cox

We actually had some bad wiring that caused the system to pick up and produce a dial tone. You could then dial any number you wanted. No one ever found out about it, but it could have been bad if someone did. At the time, we had a T1 that was going into the system as 24 analog lines. I was calling each line individually to test out the hunt groups when I discovered this. Don't know if you have the same setup.

JosephBernard, what exactlly was the wiring problem? I am interested to know for future problems.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back