Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on Generic Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeprox

Technical User
Aug 3, 2001
US
In Acess, there is a generic database for Contact Management. Lets say I created this and named it Contact A (all belonging to a certain Category).
Now I need to create a new category so I created another one of these generic db's and named it Contact B. My problem is this:
When I try to import B into A, all the Tables are automacaly renamed as Contact1, Classification1 etc... because it cannot be a duplicate of the pre existing data. Now, all the forms, and reports that are attached to Contact B wont run because it cant find any data.

If this makes any sense at all to anyone, is there an easy way to do this? Bring Identical db's together?

Thanks a lot!

How about adding a new field 'CategoryID' to the appropriate table in your first database and enter them all in the same database in the first place? "The Key, The Whole Key, and Nothing But The Key, So Help Me Codd!"

Sounds to me like you're trying to do something that you shouldn't be doing.

If the contacts are simply of a different category then I'd suspect that you need to create a table in the original database with the list of possible categories in it, then edit the contact table to include a Foreign Key that refers to the Category Table.

Thus ALL contacts are stored in the same table and are sortable and seperatable by category.

You may like to add some code to a form or two that just displays a predefined category of contact etc.

But all this sounds a lot nicer and a lot more "Normalisation Rule complient" that what you've suggested.

G LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back