Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on downloading images from the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkyn

MIS
Jan 30, 2002
US
I have Windows 2000 Professional. Although the original image in the Internet is jpg file, “save picture as” saves image only as bmp file. Why so? How can I fix it? Thank you.

I've never heard anything about this before.
try this one:
run some image editor software, click and drag the image you want to save over the image editor and try to save there..
and of course check if you are up-to-date (windows and explorer) if it persist it not a browser problem...
please letme know how it's going...

Rodrigo Ferreira
MCSE wannabe :)

Perhaps I didn’t explain myself clearly. When you view an image in the Internet, you can right-click and do “save picture as”. (Image can also be saved by clicking “Save” icon on the upper left corner of the image.) In both instances the image will be saved in the same format as the source is. In my case when I try to save the image it is saved in bmp format instead of its original jpg format. Why the switch (jpg to bmp)? I did not have this problem before. I have all sorts of virus protection. Also, I am unable to “save as” any file in jpg format using Windows’ “Paint”. I have Windows 2000 Professional and EI6. I do not have this problem in PhotoShop. I can copy and paste an image into PhotoShop and save it as a jpg file. Any help?

It was a long shot, I just want to know what you made clear in your last post(if it is just in your IE or a OS problem) but I can't think in any configuration on the IE nor windows who can fix (or do) that...
Did you try re-installing IE6? worth a try...
keep me posted
if I think in something else I'll let you know..
best luck

Rodrigo Ferreira
MCSE wannabe :)

May be it is not IE problem, because before it I was able to save as jpg using Windows’ “Paint”. Yes, I have re-installed IE6, but it didn’t help.

If the issue continues to occur after you remove all downloaded program files that are listed as Unknown or Damaged, try removing the other downloaded program files that are on the list.

Note: The next time that you need one of the files that you removed from the Downloaded Program Files folder, you will receive a prompt to download the file to your hard disk in Internet Explorer.
MS KB 810789

I had this problem before but forgot how I did it. Someone mentioned cache and *bing* that was it!
lol, I dont come on here often unless I have a problem and ironically I came to the right forum at the right time because this was at the top.
Try clearing your cache then *refresh* this page then try saving the tektips logo. ?? worked for me. :)

Instead of "save picture as" try "save target as", it should save the file keeping the extention.

It seems it's IE problem (I had this problem too). It seems it depends on the picture URL (and may be on web-server HTML header received). Alas, I don't know this problem solution...

It used to happen to me once in a while, but I never experienced it again after switching from IE to Firefox.
A favorite workaround was to paste the link into a download manager (such as getright).

ArkM, thanks for the try, but it is not IE problem, because i am unable to save in jpg format using the Paint from Windows. It has nothing to do with the URL of the picture. oisnds, thanks for the advice. I know I can save the image using "Save target as". Still it is not a solution of the problem. TwoEdge, what is Firefox? Does it work with Win 2000 Professional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back