Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on distributing software

Status
Not open for further replies.

SgtB

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2002
US
I'm rolling out a package to 10 clients. The 10th one just completed about 24 hours after I made the package mandatory. Why does this take so long? The package was only 40MB.

Checking the advertisement status (constantly pressing F5), it looks like the advertisement only runs one machine at a time. It will wait until it receives a success/fail code from one machine before starting the program on the next machine. If this was going to 200-300 clients, then it would seem to me that it would take entirely too long for theadvertisement to run to completion. Any way to speed this process up? If so what factors are involved in this?

I'm pretty new to SMS, so if you need any specifications in regards to my setup, please let me know.

Thanks!

Simple question to ask but have you checked the advertised programs monitor to see how often the clients check the server for advertised programs ? Also it might be worth seeing if the server can handle all the requests it is receiving.

Clients are set to check every 60 minutes. The server is busy, but nowhere near overloaded.

Question...does SMS really wait for one client to return a success/fail code before starting the program on the next machine? Thats the behavior I'm seeing anyway, is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back