Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on color publications

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrazilTechie

Programmer
Nov 13, 2002
BR
Hi everyone, I have just started working in the publication of a local newspaper which has color in it.

I was told that I could print it in a black and white printer and that at the printshop all color would be recognized by the printer and would print in the original colors. They should me the black and white version in pdf with some codes in it about the colors "under it".

How can that be? What is the trick?

Please help me on that one. I am not new to Pagemaker but I have never been introduced to this.
I thought you'd have to have a color printer to print in color.

Let me know.
Thx.

Hi, BrazilTechie

> I have just started working

Hmmm... Are the walls painted with Tartan paint?

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Re: I was told that I could print it in a black and white printer and that at the printshop all color would be recognized by the printer and would print in the original colors. They should me the black and white version in pdf with some codes in it about the colors "under it".

Someone is having you on (and if you don't understand that expression, they are not telling you the truth).

I think there might be a language barrier here. Are you referreing to printing a full color document to a black and white printer? The color is still retained in the PDF if you converted it as CMYK.

If the PDF you create is a CMYK PDF and all images display in color on your computer screen, then yes they will be able to print color.

When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Carl

I think you are correct in guessing there is a language problem here. What you have described sounds very logical.

Hi viol8ion:

I believe you really understood my question...

By the way, I am using PageMaker...

You are saying that I should...

1) Create the document in colors as CMYK
2) Save it as PDF
3) Print it on my black and printer
4) Take the printed output to the printshop

They would then take a "picture" of that document and print it in colors just as I had in my screen?

Just confirm if I understood you explanation correctly.

Thanks in advance for your time and cooperation.

BrazilTechie

Hi, BrazilTechie,

I now realise you're talking about colour separations.

Please accept my apologies.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Re: They would then take a "picture" of that document and print it in colors just as I had in my screen?

No, you would take a copy of the PDF (on disk or CD) to the printshop for them to print it in colour. Your black and white printed copy would be used as a check to make sure fonts and graphics and so on come out as expected from their machine.

I will follow those steps and let you know what happened.

Thanks to all of you.

BrazilTechie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back