Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on Cname in DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2005
US
I am trying to undersrtand how a Cname record works in DNS?

I was told a Cname is an alias to a real host name.

CAn someone give an example of how and or why a Cname would need to be used??

thx in advance,

harvey

harveymasons,

I'll try to find you a link to some good, simple documentation online, but in the meantime, here's a simple explanation.

Say you have a DNS zone for xyz.com. Within xyz.com, you have a few hosts: server1, server2, etc. These would be A records in the xyz.com zone.

Now, you want to have a DNS record for and have it point to server1.xyz.com. How do you do this? With a CNAME record that aliases the host host server1.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

To elaborate:

Suppose you set up your web server on server1, but set up a CNAME of to server1 and publish your web address as server1 blows up and you quickly set up the web site on server2, then rather than telling everyone a new address, you simply change the CNAME entry to point to server2.

Also, if you have a mail server, you can reference it as imap.xyz.com, pop3.xyz.com and mail.xyz.com for imap, pop3 and smtp services. At a later date you can then split them up onto different servers to spread the load.

Lastly, you can do a very crude loadbalancing by setting up multiple CNAMES to different servers, eg you have 3 CNAME entries for www, pointing to server1, server2, server3. DNS will then do a round robin load balancing, directing the first request to server1, the second to server2, etc.

HTH

Darren.

Suppose you set up your web server on server1, but set up a CNAME of to server1 and publish your web address as server1 blows up and you quickly set up the web site on server2, then rather than telling everyone a new address, you simply change the CNAME entry to point to server2.

Using a CNAME here would be of no benefit at all. If you didn't use a CNAME there would be nothing stoping you from simply changing the IP address of the A record for www. Even with a CNAME there has to be an A record somewhere down the line.

Chris.

Chris A.C, CCNA, CCSA

Thanks alot guys. I Really appreciate it.

I understand it much better now.

thanks again,
HArvey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back