Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question in re: borders, designs, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Sep 26, 2003
US
Hello. I'm still fairly new at PageMaker and need to design an ad. Are there any websites where I can find free professional looking borders and designs that I can simply copy and paste? Is there a way to change the color of the borders and designs once I've found the one I like?

These aren't free ( but if you google for 'pagemaker borders', you might find some that are free. There may even be some borders in one of the templates that come packaged with PM. Usually the templates are found under wherever your PM program files are, in a subfolder called templates.

Re colouring borders. If they are available as a greyscale TIF, then yes, you can add colour from within PM, but keep in mind that PM is primarily a layout program, not a graphics program. It may be easier to achieve what you want by designing the borders first in a graphics program (Photoshop, Illustrator - where there may be suitable border graphics) and adding colour before saving in a format suitable for placing in PM such as TIF for raster graphics and EPS for vector (which will only print properly on a postscript printer - convert to a PDF first otherwise).

Thank you for the info. Is there a difference between Photshop and Photoshop Illustrator?

There's no such thing as 'Photoshop Illustrator'.

Photoshop is Adobe's raster graphics program, used primarily for editing photos, or any other manipulations of graphics composed of pixels.

Illustrator is Adobe's vector graphics program, used primarily for creating shapes (logos, line drawings, maps, etc). The graphics are composed of mathematical equations describing the length, direction, colour etc of the shapes.

So if you need to design an ad - which may consist of a number of components (photos, logos, text, etc), you may need to have Photoshop and Illustrator as well as Pagemaker in order to create it. This is why Adobe sells its programs in a 'suite' as the three programs are all used by graphic designers for different parts of their work. Each program has its particular strengths. InDesign, Adobe's newest layout application, almost manages to bundle parts of the three programs in one.

Although you probably don't have it, the best software program for clipart (including lots of borders) is Coreldraw. Buy an old copy and it will have heaps of clipart which can be used in Adobe products if you save them in the right format first (which means installing CDraw on your computer in order to do so).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back