Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question from beginner... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

code2high

ISP
Feb 7, 2002
US
I am trying to create big, bold text and put an image inside the text. How do I go about this? One of my friends said something about transparency but I am just starting to learn this and I need a step-by-step process. Thank you!!

Hi code2high,

This is pretty simple:

1: Select the type icon from the toolbar
2: In the tool properties bar (just under the menu across the top) select the icon that looks like a T with a dotted outline
3: Type your text into the window, then select any other tool
4: Your text should appear as a dotted selection in your picture
5: Go to the image you want to appear behind the text, select it and copy
6: Go back to the text image and select Edit>Paste Into
7: Use the Move Tool to position the image however you want it within the text.

Hope this helps :) Nick (Web Designer)

nick@retrographics.co.uk

This may or may not be better but you can try this too.
1.) Open a new frame
2.) Select the big T in the tool bar
3.) Type in what you want. You can write in what size
font you want to use, ie, 150 point or 200 point.
4.) Bring up your image or photo. Copy it and then paste it into the earlier window with the text. Now you will have two layers~one with the text and above this the layer with the photo.
5.) Place the cursor between the two layers. Hold down the Control key (Ctrl)and then left click the mouse when you see the small hockeypuck type of icon between the two layers.

This is all that you need to do. You can then select the layer with the text and manipulate it to where you want the text to be. Alternately, you can select the image and move this around too.

If you want to have several images behind the text, just repeat steps 4 and 5 for each image. Then select each image and move it around where you want it positioned.

Give it a try and you'll find that it's really simple. It's much harder to describe than it is to do. Have a go and if you have problems, let me know. I just learned this and tried it out last weekend. Simple and elegant.

Euro

You need to hold down ALT to link two layers together this way not CTRL.

Place your text on one layer and place your image on the layer above, then place your mouse cursor between these two layers in the layers palete, hold down ALT and left click (you will see two linked circles, one outline the other filled). The layer with your image on will then be masked by the text layer underneath.

You can do this with any shape, just remember that the layer underneath is the shape of your mask.

Wicked technique to know.

Sorry euro, I know it's basicaly repeating what you said but I use this every day and thought the more way's it's said the more chance code has of getting it. It's a weird one till you've used it a few times. funkymonk B-)

rod@sameplanet.co.uk
[on it's way!]

Funkymonk
No problem. Like I said, I've just learned this trick and found it really easy to do, yet very effective.

Photoshop is so awesome and it'll take two lifetimes to get down all of the neat things it can do.

euro

Very true..... That is a neat trick, I always used to use the 'paste into' command but this way gives you so much control over your images..... funkymonk B-)

rod@sameplanet.co.uk
[on it's way!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back