Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question for professionals....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amalv12

Technical User
May 31, 2013
LY
Hi guys,

I always had a question spinning in my mind.why the trunk prefix to make international call is 011 in us and 00 in UK and mnay other

countries.who the first time use it,why it is 00 not 11 or any other numbers.I know that ITU choose these numbers but I don't know the

reason.

I have serched many sites with no result.

In North American Numbering Plan (NANP), 0 was for local operator and 00 was for long distance operator. NANP just took a different road.

thanx alot man for this peice of information ....

do you know anything about the other one, the prefix 00 ...

0 for start of the area code for LD calls) and the second 0 for out of the country followed by the country code(s) you can see the country codes in some of the numbers
+1 for North America
+49 for Germany
+44 for UK
you get the drift

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

Interrupt the silence only if you improve it by saying something, otherwise be quiet and everybody will be grateful.

Going on from that thought, why did the US choose 911 and the UK choose 999 for emergency calls? In the UK, this system was put in when there were only rotary phones and 999 was the quickest 3 digits you could dial. Anyone have any idea why 911 was chosen here in the U.S.?

In the UK, this system was put in when there were only rotary phones and 999 was the quickest 3 digits you could dial"

Longest you could dial...

as a side note, the most of Europe (including UK ) and a lot of the rest of the world support 112 as well

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

It's been 25+ years since I was over there ... so forgive me that one ....

the method in the us for emergency calls came out of the numbering plan. the rotary dial phone systems were set to look at the second digit dialed and use that as a first determiner to determine if the number dialed was valid the second digit dialed for local calls was a number between 2 and 9, if the second digit dialed was a 1 then the call was treated as a special number and routed differently without waiting for more digits or a timeout (911, 611, 411 were the first numbers that were setup for this process) the last digit being a 1 I think was because with rotary dial phones it was almost 1 second faster to dial a 1 than a 9. this was reflected in looking at the area codes origially set up for the larger cities, 212 New York, 312 Chicago etc.

techs still refer to the NPA NNX(office codes) numbers N=any number 2-9 P=0 or 1 A=Any Number 1-9 if P is 0 and any number 2-9 if P is a 1, the X being any number.

----------------------------
40: Hill?? What hill??
I didn't see any $%@#(*$ Hill!!
50: who put this $%@#(*$ Hill Here??
----------------------------
JerryReeve
Telecommunication Technology Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back