Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about Windows Updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCSGEEK

IS-IT--Management
Mar 18, 2002
US
Actually 2 questions. Hopefully someone has a good solution and can point me in the right direction.

Question #1.
Is there a place where I can download the OS Updates, lets say for Win98 & Win2K and save them to disk. Like IE6, Security Updates, Service Pack Updates, and so on. I would like to be able to save them so I can burn them to CD and take around with me to the different workstations. This way, lets say I have 20 workstations to update I dont have to download the same stuff 20 times.

Question #2
Is there a way to have my File Server download the updates and push it out to all the workstations?

If anyone can help me out or point me in the right direction I would Greatly Appreciate it. Thanks,

Chris

On the first question the answer is yes.

Go to and in the top right hand corner there is a tab called "All products" this will drop down the options and then select downloads.

You be given the ability to search for the downloads that you want and for what OS you are running does not have to be the OS that is installed on that machine.

Second Question i really dont know. I think SMS can handle that but i have never looked into it. We use a program like PC anywhere to just connect into our workstations and do the updates. it is a pain considering we have 400. However we do not download every update there is just the ones that pertain to our business needs Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE
erikbutler@centurytel.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back