Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about Windows Licensing Requirements for Specialized OEMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjv1611

Jul 9, 2003
US
I'd like to see if anyone here has any real world experience to share on this topic.

We're in a situation where we need to replace a very old computer with a newer computer, and then a company for a separate piece of equipment will install their custom windows image including their own software onto the computer after we purchase it. One question that's come up regarding this process is Windows licensing.

If the third party, the one providing their own software, as well as support for their software and the equipment the computer is connected to, installs their custom image of Windows, what would Microsoft require from us to prove we are running Genuine Windows, assuming we're ever audited? Would the company providing the software need to (or be able to) provide a separate Windows sticker with that installation, assuming they are using a Volume Licensing Agreement to build their image, or do we even need any proof on our end?

This is yet something else I've never run into so far. I've read some about how a company can begin using Volume Licensing for Windows, but I've yet to have experience in that area yet. And this type setup could be more complicated, because a third party would provide the license.

One piece to this scenario is that only certain computer models from one manufacturer are covered or allowed with this software. In that case, if we purchase the same model with the same version of Windows as what is installed over-top, does that alone cover us with the original product sticker?

I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of the software that will be installed, but I'd like to know just how far we have to go to ensure we do not run into trouble with Microsoft if ever audited.

Thanks for any thoughts/experiences/references.

Operating System to be installed: Windows 7

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back