Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about VB and generating reports without db software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paladyr

Programmer
Apr 22, 2001
US
Say you have data sitting in an access database, but the end user you want to show the data to doesn't have Office installed, is there a way you can create an executable that will allow them to see the reports that are based on this data? Would you just have to export the data into an ASCII file or something like that? I just need to know if it is feasible and also if the way I described doing it above is the only option. Thanks!

Yes, you can write a program to read the database and display it on your own grid. You will need to install MDAC on that machine tho.

I think it would be easier to just install Office on that machine. :)

If this is a machine on the network, you can use another machine that has Access on it to view it.

I wouldn't recommend converting it to a textfile. There are too many other easier way. :)

Hope that helps.

So then if I sent an access database with the data in it along with my VB executable, my VB program could be used to view the contents of the database even though they don't have access installed? Would I just need to install the ODBC driver for access or something? This would be for a client and we have NO control over whether or not they get access, that is why I posted as if installing office wasn't an option.

You do not have to install office on your client machine. You can have a VB app read the data and display it in a grid, with a data report from VB's data enviroment, or even with 3rd party reporting software like Crystal reports. When you make a VB setup package for the client machine, you can include mdac and the necessary drivers will be installed on the client machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back