Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about using .pdf files in Vis Basic 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

erikheath

Programmer
Jul 29, 2002
US
Forgive me if I mess up terminology and whatnot, I am a very inexperienced user of Visual Basic.

Here's my situation. I am writing a program, and as a part of the program I want to pull up forms that I created and transferred to .pdf files (this is what I was told to do). These files will be read only, and I just want to be able to pull them up by having the user make a selection, and hitting the command button.

I've looked in the archives, and I havn't seen anything like what I need to do. Thanks for all help and input!

You are looking for ShellExecute

Try JustinEzekiel's excellent post at thread222-305854 Let me know if this helps

If you are worried about posting, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

'There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.'

Do you have Adobe Acrobat ver 4 or 5 (not the reader but full program?) If so in VB r click on toolbar and select "components" click on "insertable objects" click on "Adobe Acrobat Document"
Then load a new form load the adobe ocx onto it select the "PDF" file you want to show.

I don't have the full acrobat program - I was able to convert to pdf only throught the free trials on adobe's website.

How did you get on with ShellExecute? - I know this works! Let me know if this helps

If you are worried about posting, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

'There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.'

I'm going to give it a shot before the end of the day, I'll let you know. Thanks for all the help all...and if you have more suggestions feel free to keep postin'!

You use to be able to download a free version of the reader. When that is installed you should notice underneath its installation directory a sub directory "ActiveX" you can use the pdf.ocx in your program if the end user has (at least the free reader) installed on their system. This ocx will allow you to program the events that you are wanting to do. It will not allow you to edit the pdf from your program but it will display and print files specified.

To add this ocx to your project right click on your toolbox. Select browse and navigate to where the pdf.ocx has been installed etc. etc.

I believe you will have fun playing with this ocx because it has some interesting properties that you cannot control (Like it always wants to be on top of your other controls).

Good Luck and I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back