Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSCKone

MIS
May 9, 2002
US
Right now we have a small farm with 3 servers. 1 is used to host the home directories and autheticate users to the farm, and the other 2 serve applications.

The application being served is now considered business critical, and they want full redundancy.

Their proposal is to have 10 servers in Location A and 10 in location B. Is it even possible to have 2 servers that can serve to authenticate users to the farm? Is it even required to have a server for that function, or can users authenticate to any server in the farm?

Hi,

How are you setting the servers up?

I'd consider:-

Location A

Domain Controller
DNS Server
SQL Server for Data Store
Data Collector
App Servers

Location B

Domain Controller
DNS Server
Data Collector
App Servers

Then I'd configure your DNS servers at each site to use that particular sites Data Collector as the main server to resolve ICA requests. Also, don't allow anybody to use the Data Collector so that it only processes Citrix requests.

Then, should that Data Collector go down, all you have to do is amend the DNS entry on that particular site and your clients are able to connect.

Does that help? Can it be improved I ask the others here!

Cheers,
Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back