Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about "upadating" a RM/COBOL-85 Software Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitaraholic

Programmer
Apr 24, 2012
US
I work for a small company that resells and supports a program that is written in RM/COBOL-85. We are looking for any way possible to bring this Program up to date in regards to appearance. Does anyone have an experience with taking an older System and putting a different "front end" on it without having to write it again from the ground up? The ultimate goal would be to make it more accessible to the customer, whether that be through a Web interface or GUI, etc. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Not answers or even suggestions, but some things to think about. . .

Does the code have to stay in rm/cobol-85? Would some other cobol be acceptable?

How "well" is the current code written (i.e. structured well or functions in spite of the code organization)?

Does the application run on your infrastructure or the client's?

How much "technical" support is needed now versus if some other layers of technology are introduced?

How heavily is this application code/data integrated with other applications - local or remote?

As you provide more details or post some of the diswcussion you are having at your organization, someone here may have some useful suggestions.

I wish you had been able to see my presentation on using web services to refactor this type of application at the Micro Focus Developer Conference, just held in Dallas.

RM/COBOL is now owned by Micro Focus. Call your Micro Focus account representative and ask about getting an evaluation of Xcentrisity Business Information Server (BIS) for RM/COBOL. Feel free to use my name.

BIS comes with a tutorial (modesty keeps me from revealing its author!) that describes how to create web services which can then be used as you refactor the user interface.

Tom Morrison
Micro Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back