Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about private IP addressing

Status
Not open for further replies.

snemes

IS-IT--Management
Oct 23, 2003
US
Good day to all...

We are currently planning to implement our pix firewall tommorow...unfourtunatly we have determined that our current ip configuration will not allow for enough ip adresses. We have tried our current configuration and it works fine. Our current configuration is as follows:

Network: 10.27.1.xxx
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

We want to create more addresses so we were thinking about creating this network:

Network: 10.27.xxx.xxx
Subnet: 255.255.3.0

Can we do this?
Will there be any problems created in the DNS that we will have to re-configure (ex. reverse lookups)?
Any Ideas?

I thank you for your help in advance....

Scott

>Network: 10.27.xxx.xxx
Subnet: 255.255.3.0

Never seen a subnet like that. I think you mean:

255.255.3.0 seems like a strange mask to use actually not a valid one did you mean 255.255.224.0 (you are using the first three bits of the third octet?). In light of the fact you have private addressing I would sujest unless you have a good reason not to I would use a 16 bit mask (255.255.0.0) as this would make things simpler for you. As you said these are private addresses and therefore should not be seen on the 'internet' and because of this you should have no problems with changing your addressing scheme.

IainH...

Thanks for your help. We have decided on using the following:

Class C

Network: 10.27.0.0
Subnet:255.255.252.0

This creates 1024 nodes, which is plenty for us....
We appreciate all of those who helped

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back