Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about Not enough memory for file map

Status
Not open for further replies.

baseballgem

Programmer
Oct 3, 2001
US
When running a VFP8.0 (visual) executable I often get this message.
In the old days I used to get "Not Enough Memory" when executing some SQL commands.

But, this is a powerful Dell computer which has 2.0 Gig of Ram , 80 Gig hard drive space, 3.06 GHz Processor. So I'm at a loss to understand why. I do not get "Not Enough memory" messages any more - has this taken its place "Not Enough Memory For File Map."
I know that one of the offending lines is as follows
SELECT DISTINCT xxx_number as
xxx_num,CTOD(left(xxx_regexp,2)+"/"+SUBSTR(xxx_regexp,3,2)+"/"+subs(xxx_regexp,5,4)) as expiration, < more fields> ...
...FROM xtemp INTO table tempnew

The command works on my "development" work station which has less memory and drive space. But it does have a Full Blown install of VFP 8.0. The only thing else I can tell you is that the computer where it fails (Dell), the full version of VFP8 is not installed - the only thing installed there is the Install Shield of FoxPro with all it's necessary components. (I need one for development and another for testing; that is to say I test on a station where VFP is NOT fully loaded.)

Everything else with the app works like a charm and this is only an occasional error - maybe 2% of the time. So, it's not a simple case of incorrect files loaded from the install shield otherwise I figure it would be crashing all the time or simply wouldn't launch. I notice that if I reboot and make the process the very 1st thing I do, then it works better. If I run the process at the close of the day - it fails (maybe some memory creep taking place).
Has anyone else had this?
Thanking you in advance.
Any suggestions?

This error may be refering to many possible problems, but one of the easiest solutions to try is to delete the FoxUser.dbf and try again. It may be that it is corrupt.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

It may also be another issue according to the help file:

Not enough memory for file map (Error 1150)There is not enough memory for Visual FoxPro to allocate memory for a Visual FoxPro internal resource.

Available memory is extremely limited.
Add memory or remove memory-resident programs to give Visual FoxPro more working memory.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

The approach in faq184-3504 always works for me, set the memory to 1.5gigs or so depending on what you have available.

Some people also flush the memory buffer with one of the sys() commands before running the offending code too.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back