Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talson

IS-IT--Management
Feb 22, 2002
US
We have a bookstore at a university that has its own subnet and uses the university's network for the internet. We can see other workgroups and they can see us. No one can connect to each other's servers or workstations except within their own workgroup. That is the setup, this is the question, we have a textbook inventory program that runs on our server, with workstations accessing the database. My boss thinks that he can go anywhere outside our workgroup and subnet and access the database on our server using a laptop. Can this work or not. I say no, but I could be wrong. Please le me know.

the answer is -possibly [smile]

it depends on your configuration, IP setup, router(s) setup, and firewalls you use.

for a more accurate answer, post details of your network setup. <marc>[ul]help us help![li]please provide feedback on what works / doesn't[/li][li]not sure where to start? click here: faq581-3339[/li][/sup][/ul][/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back