Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

dschneider

Technical User
Aug 21, 2001
DE
Hi all,
I have a problem with an application, which runs on unix-server. The front-end is used by a windows client, who connects with rexec. Now there is something wrong with login: A user who is known in the password list, and who is able to login in unix, cannot login with the client via rexec. I thin in the login procedure of the clientsoftware it looks in a file with further login information specific from the server application.
How can I monitor, which files will be asked or searched while logging in with the clientsoftware?

Thanks for all help!!

Best regards
Daniel :)

rexec? What version of SCO has rexec? SCO has rsh (same thing, different name).

You *might* catch it with lsof (available from ) but since the access is probably transitory, you probably need something more.

If you don't have trace (comes with develpment tools - ), you'll need to use System Auditing - assuming this is SCO 3.2v4 or v5

I would do this with a system doing as little else as possible. Auditing uses a LOT of disk space very quickly. Turn it on with /usr/lib/sysadm/auditsh, have your user rexec, and shut it off and run your reports (there's a reboot necessary in here too)

However- are you sure this is the app? Using rexec or rsh or rlogin requires more than just being able to login - is there a .rhosts file with the proper name in it or a hosts.equiv ?
Tony Lawrence
SCO Unix/Linux Resources tony@pcunix.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back