Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about migrating to a new CMS database

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftab45

Technical User
Mar 2, 2006
GB
Hello all,

I would be grateful if you could answer the following question for me.

We have Business Objects Enterprise XI R2 installed on a server. The CMS is currently set up in MySQL. I have been given the task to migrate this to SQL Server. I've made several attempts at this in a test environment but none have been successful. I hoping my next plan will be successful, but I was wondering if someone could sanity check it for me?

This is what I plan to do:

1. Install a new CMS (could this be done on the same server?).

2. Copy the CMS data from the source CMS to the new CMS (based on SQL server).

3. Set the datasource for the source CMS to point to the newly created SQL Server database.

4. Uninstall the recently installed CMS.

Thank you in advance.

Aftab.

That should work. For step 2, use the Import Wizard to copy your whole system to the new database instead of using any other method to copy the data.

An easier way to do it would be to use the Import Wizard to export all of your system to a .biar file. Then go to the CCM and change the data source for the CMS to the new database - make sure you select the option that will create the CMS tables in the new database. Finally, use the Import Wizard to import the .biar file into the new system. If you have a lot of reports in your system, you'll want to export to multiple .biar files and include security (users and groups) in ALL of them.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back