Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question About Intelligent Message Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayccs

MIS
Sep 27, 2004
US
Hello Everyone,
First off thank you for looking at my post. I have a small question and I am hoping that someone can help me or point me in the right direction. I installed Microsofts Intelligent Message Filter and it is working great. The only problem I have with it is any user who connects to my exchange server via pop3 exchange will filter the junk email and put them in the junk email folder on the server but when outlook goes to download the new mail it only downloads the new messages in the inbox and leaves the junk mail on the server. Now the reason I don't like this is b/c spam filters catch mail that isn't really spam and the user has no way of looking at them unless he logs on using OWA or via exchange mode, which these users don't do. Now is there a way for the junk folder to sync or do I have to set those clients not to filter the junk email or basically turn it off under options in OWA. Thank you for your help.
-Mike Smolens

Sorry I can't help with your question, but I have one for you, as I'm about to install IMF. Are you also using Connection Filtering? I turned this on recently and the amount of spam emails getting thru to users increased significantly.

bayccs, did you find a solution? I have 2 users in my entire org that need to use pop3 (one is in Paris the other uses a Mac and refuses to use entourage (SP)).
Scott

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288
SprintPCS ReadyLink? IM ME

Skotman,
Sorry I never did find a solution for this. Actually I ended up disabling the message filter b/c it was creating way to may false positives. I set up a RBL list instead and that seems to have helped the problem but nothing is 100%.
-Mike

bayccs,
After posting last night I ran accross a solution. Have your pop3 users log in to OWA (or you do this for them) and disable Junk Mail filtering.
Hope that helps,
Scott

Scott Heath
AIM: orange7288
SprintPCS ReadyLink? IM ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back