Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about indexes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dognobbler

Programmer
Jul 4, 2003
GB
I am new to using indexes and need a little help. I want to create a index to help the following statement run faster, can anyone suggest which would be the best index to create

select * from profile, album, movie, book, contact
where profile.album = album.albumid
and profile.movie = movie.movieid
and profile.book = book.bookid
and profile.username=contact.username
and profile.sex != "male"
and profile.searchsex != "female"
and profile.relationship != "dating"
and photo_validated != "yes";

Also is there a way to see which indexes yo have already created ie. is there a "show indexes" or "desc indexes" statement that will show me all the indexes on a database or table.

Thanks

Andy

You could start by redoing your joins as follows:
[tt]
SELECT *
FROM
JOIN album
ON
profile.sex <> "male"
AND profile.searchsex <> "female"
AND profile.relationship <> "dating"
AND profile.photo_validated <> "yes"
AND profile.album = album.albumid
JOIN movie ON profile.movie = movie.movieid
JOIN book ON profile.book = book.bookid
JOIN contact ON profile.username=contact.username
[/tt]

Then you could add indexes on profile.album, profile.movie, profile.book, profile.username, album.album_id, movie.movie_id, book.book_id, contact.username.

If profile.sex and profile.searchsex only have two values with a roughly-equal distribution, then an index would provide little or no benefit. Profile.relationship and profile.photo_validated might also fall into this category.

As regards your table design, you would probably be better-off converting profile.sex, profile.searchsex, profile.relationship, and photo_validated to CHAR(1) or TINYINT fields, since that would use less space (and therefore be faster) than storing multi-character strings.

[tt]SHOW INDEX FROM tablename[/tt] will list all the indexes for a table.

-----
ALTER world DROP injustice, ADD peace;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back