Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about IDE device setups 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmears1

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
US
I have a PC with an Asus A7V333 mobo. This board has 2 IDE connectors (optional Promise RAID support) & 2 IDE connectors (UltraDMA/133 support). Currently I have 2 hard drives, 1 CD-RW & a DVD-ROM connected to the UltraDAM/133 connectors & everything is working great. However, I'd like to add a DVD burner to the mix & I'm wondering if I can install my two hard drives to the 2 IDE connectors w/RAID support (but not set up as a RAID) and then use the 2 regular IDE connectors for the 3 ROM drives. Any help is greatly appreciated!

You should be able to do this without issue. If you look into the device manager you should see both controllers in there, if not load the drivers for the other controller and attach your drives, I would attach you ROM drive to the additional controller beacause it you attach your HD to it your drive letters may change and the ain't good.

Glenn

[peace]

Please repost after you look at it again.

Gnwhite1201,
Thanks for the help...I'm going to give it a try! Just one question though: you said you would attach the ROMs to the additional controller, by that did you mean the RAID controller or the regular? If I understood the manual for my board correctly, I'm pretty sure it said not to attach any devices other than hard drives to the RAID IDE controller. I may be mistaken though.
Thanks again!

You are probably right in that explaination I believe I read that somewhere in mine as well...ooops!....

Bu tyou have to figure out some way of making sure that the drive letters do not change.

Glenn

Please repost!

Just an update--I connected both hard drives to the RAID IDE connectors, and all three ROM drives to the regular IDE connectors, set all jumper settings on the drives to CS & it's working great. Thanks for the help gnwhite1201!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back