Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question about external cd enclosure...any technicians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beholder2

Technical User
Sep 27, 2004
US
Hello I'm building a new system and my chassis has a door or flap in front of the cd drive bay. I installed the cd drive and realized the door is too small for drive to open. I decided I needed an external enclosure for my drive and was wondering if anyone knows of an external enclosure that would support a cd drive AS WELL as a connection for the audio cable that connects to the soundcard? I've seen external enclosure that support ide devices but wondered if anyone made one that support cd drives specifically ie. the audio cables?

Thanks..
Rob

Hi there
Are you talking about the old audio fly cable that used to be fitted to W98 machines? and is not needed when using XP/Vista.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Not sure what you by fly cable. Its a four pin wire that connects to where it says analog audio on the back of the cd drive. I know from when I used to build pcs a long time ago that it was there so you could play audio cd's directly. Theres also a two pin connector for digital audio. will I need these if i put the cd drive in an external enclosure?

Modern internally mounted CDRoms use the IDE bus to transfer the audio signal so do not need the old audio fly leads fitting.
Interesting question (if mounted externally) but I'm fairly sure the same applies to USB/Firewire interfaced CDroms as well.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Thanks.. hmm I wonder what the 2pin digital audio was for never came across it before.

On my parent's computer all I had to do to get the drive to open was slip the front bezel off of the drive tray. Just hold both sides of the bezel with your thumbs and lift up while holding the tray with your fingertips. Shouldn't take much effort. Just be careful not to flex the tray. It isn't quiet as pretty afterward but it works. I do clean the drive a bit more often with caned air as a precaution but I am not sure it is all that needed.

I actually thought of that but its a brand new sony bluray drive I don't want to damage it. Its a shame my silverstone chassis won't fit the drive. I was just with it being a media system the use of an external enclosure would limit me to only data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back