Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question about differential backup 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 21, 2004
US
I am trying to setup a differential backup to a remote hard drive. I created a backup job and in the backup method drop down menu, I chose differential using archive bits.
When I run a test backup, I found no data was backed up for the first time. Then I changed some data in the select list. When I run the backup again, Veritas backed up the changed data.
I know I should create another backup job that will do full backup first. However, how do I link the normal backup job with the differential backup job together? In other word, how do I tell the differential backup to look for changes in another backup job which has normal backup????

cooperchien,
set a full back up to run on the weekend.
set your diff backup to run each weeknight.
if i remember correct software take care of knowing if there was a change based on time stamp of file.
regards,
longhair

Create a single selecton list for the FULL job.
Then create a Backup Job and use that selection list and change the backup method to full and schedule it.

Create another job and use the same selection list above, but change the backup method to DIFF>

The job has to use the same selection list and when the DIFF job runs it will check the files according to the achive bit on the same files the full would backup only backup changed files

thank you for your post. I tested it and it works. Just wondering, what is differential backup based on archive bits? I am using modified time because I think it makes sense to back up the changed files based on the time stamps. I suppose when a file is changed, its bits as well as time stamps also changes together.

If you used the modify time you must run a full first using modified time and then run the diff using modified time.

If the full job fails then the diff will be the same byte count as the full typically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back