Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about Dell PowerEdge 2500

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedal2dametal

Technical User
Sep 18, 2009
US
I received a Dell PowerEdge 2500 today but I'm pretty unsure on how to start cleaning it out so I can set it up as a home file server. Any tips, any particular version of Windows I should install? Thanks in advance!

Probably a bad choice for a home file server--realize that the machine is ~8 years old at this point and is going to be slow, loud, and power hungry. Also uses SCSI disks which will be anemic and expensive by today's standards. Terabyte range NAS devices run sub-$300 these days, and you'd be far better off going with one of those.

That said, if you're dead set on using this machine, you'll want to run either Windows 2000, Windows 2003, or some flavor of Linux.

I have been running 2x PE 2500s for several years now. 1 is running a Windows 2003 Domain and the other is running Windows 2000 as a Mdaemon Mail server. They have been very good servers. I would say throw 2003 on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back