Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about dbexport behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjldba

Technical User
Oct 29, 2003
US
We're using IDS 9.30.UC5 on an IBM 630 with AIX 5.1 and we're a PeopleSoft shop, which means our DB's have about 14,000 tables each, which means we have over 25,000 indexes to deal with in each DB. We're using raw space & Production DB was recently defragged.

The Production DB is about 18GB and only about 1100 - 1200 of the tables are populated so (finally) here's my question:

When I'm doing a dbexport, why is the portion that unloads the index schema's so slow? Unloading data to .unl files goes about as well as can be expected & the display of schemas for empty tables flies by so fast you can't read a word.

Same goes for views .... the display is screaming fast.

But when it hits the indexes, the display of the index schema's slows to a steady crawl. I would expect them to be displayed as screaming fast as the views but instead they go by click .... click .... click ..... click until it hits the update statistics portion ..... more click ... click ... click

Any ideas?

Thanks

Did you try to make an "update statistics" previous to the dbexport?
It's just an idea, I don't have certain that it would help or not...

thanks for responding jcura.

I've already tried updating stats prior to executing dbexport & the performance for dbexporting index schemas is unchanged .... weird.

I wonder what's the difference between unloading an empty table (nrows = 0 so .unl file is 0 bytes) and unloading an index which only gives me the schema for the index?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back