Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about date field being shrunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

swenri

Programmer
Jul 4, 2006
US
Hi All:

I’m having problem with date being shrunk in excel displaying out as (#########) when I export the report from crystal report to excel using Data Only format . The can grow option is disabled. How do I expand the field enough so that the user need not double click on the column header to expand ?

Any ideas would be highly helpful to resolve the issue and it's urgent.

Thank you........

hi,

You could...

Use the Numeric Format feature to select a shorter format of the numeric data.

or

Select ALL cells (ctr+A) and AutoFit any column or via VBA
Code:
ActiveSheet.Cells.EntireColumn.AutoFit = True

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Hi,

Thank you for the reply but, I had already set the format of the date to be 1/1/14 00:00 before I exported the report . Can you please help me ?

Thank you

then the OR suggestion

Skip,
[sub]

I had already set the format of the date to be 1/1/14 00:00 before I exported the report

using Data Only format

"Data Only" is, er, uh, ummm data ONLY. That means NO FORMAT. So your two statements are inconsistent.

When I generate DATA in business objects for the purpose of exporting to Excel, whatever is done in the REPORT GENERATOR (whichever one that might be), I export the data as a text file (.csv) and then IMPORT (certainly NOT OPEN using Excel) into Excel via Data > Get External Data.

The reason is this: Excel CAN and WILL change some of your data from one thing into another thing. Some of those changes will be what you expect and some will be unexpected and unwanted. The IMPORT via Data > Get exteral data will make it possible to control this process and thus prevent unwanted conversions of data.

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back