Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about data equipment in an electrical room? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajuntank

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2003
US
Hey guys, I'm with a K-12 school and we just had a new building done for our vocational program. The architect never once got the IT department involved with the plans and now we are being asked to provide data services to this building after it's 90% complete. The architect designed the building thinking all of the data and voice equipment would go into the electrical room. Just from what I've seen so far, there is a lot of electrical panels going in and hardly any if no floor space. His design basically was having a backboard on a wall for me.

I normally like my equipment in it's own space away from big panels. Is there some page from a document like something from the NEC, IETF, or whatever that specifies why this is not a good idea to have them within close proximaty?

Number one it's a code violation to have anything on the floor within 3 feet of an electric panel.
OSHA will eat him alive.

That's 3 feet to the front of an electrical panel. Not sure of the clearances to the side, but I bet there is a code for that as well. Call any certified electrician and they can tell you what it is.

Architects can be very ignorant about NEC requirements. It would be best to contact the inspector or AHJ and have them size up the situation.

Safety and protection (as in arc flash) and access for maintenance!!

....JIM....

Per the TDMM 11th edition Chapter 6 - Telecommunications spaces should be located in areas that are dedicated to telecommunications use. Equipment that is not related to the support of the telecommunications spaces (e.g., Piping, duct work, and distribution of building power) should not be located in, pr pass through, the telecommunications space.

Keep in mind that this is a best practice and is not a code. Stand firm on the seperate location of your gear. Stand up telecom brothers, perhaps one day we will get invited to the design meetings.

About attending the meetings.
In our dreams, lol.
Hang in there tank, I've got your 6.

You have a chance "NOW" to turn things around and get invited to the meetings and the design. Point out the items the other have mentioned. Ask them, "where am i going to put my 19"x7' free standing racks". How to i get a pathway to this rack? I went through this very thing for a long time until I made enough points to make them realize they were not telecomm/data design experts. They are Architects.

Setup cabling specifications for your school(s) and give them a copy. These should include what type of cabling "will be used" for your voice and data. Sequential footage markers, Plenum or non plenum cables, fiber, racks, part numbers, jacks, patch panels, the whole bit. I have one that i would be willing to share if you need one as an example. Or Google like i did to start yours off. The more effort you put into this the better your chances of getting what you not only need but what.

Now they come to me with plans before they are finalized making sure they give me what i need. But it did not happen overnight..

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

You should always use a different room for your Data/voice items.
Reasons(just to name a few):
1. RFI
2. Heat
3. Access for adds,moves,changes (cable and trays,etc)
4. Possible shock hazard to cabling,IT personal as they are not electricians and do not know the safety requirements,etc when working in that type of area.
5. Distance requirements for the cabling being used.

Of course it depends upon the size of the room and the lay-out, but from your posting,it seems to be a small area.

Good Luck,

Has been in the cabling business for about twenty years and is now the Sr PM for a cabling company located in the Los Angeles area.
Also a General Class Amatuer Radio Operator.

I don't do cabling/installs so much anymore but I'm with mikeydidit on this. Get yourself some specifications and put your foot down. I was in the same situation where I was the last to know and least involved right up until I finally stopped a couple of projects by saying they couldn't be done the way they had been designed and if they disagreed they could find a new telecom guy (I was in a bit of a unique situation to allow that threat; I was the only telecom guy for many miles).

It boils down to you needing access to your equipment and ECs needing access to their equipment. If the space is crammed with both you increase the likelihood of accidents causing not only equipment failure but personal injury. Is it, at the end of the day, more expensive to give both electrical and telecom the space they need or to pay the disability claims when an accident happens? Or (just as likely where I was) more expensive to do it right the first time or to do it over when the building inspector comes through?

Establish a relationship with your Project Managers. Once they realize that the work will be done better and more efficiently if you are involved from the start you will be invited to the meetings.

well for the electrical panels here are the specs
on clearence per the ticket we just recieved from
the fire marshal 36"deep,30"wide and 78"high.now
for the eguipment you are putting in the heat from
the electrical closet will not be good for that either
hope this helps.

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

The benefits are too many to mention all of them but here are a few.

You will have to stock the same items that are now being installed. If you have specified items for use in your schools, then you can use the same items for all of them. How much money does this save your department?? Space at the very least.

Your techs go to the same patch panels and jacks every day. How much time does this save you on new installs? Using different parts take more time to look at and work with.

What about cables? If you spec something that is a good grade of cable that you like, you will not have to put up with another brand Rex thats a PITA to use. Lite colors are hard to see. No pull strings are anther added benefit of junk cables. Whats the contractor going to use but the cheapest thing he can get away with and what he can make the most money off of. But if it is "specified" that this cable "will be used" at all of our schools, thats what you will get.

It took me a while to get this like i needed it to be, but has well worth the effort.

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back