Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question about compile of paradox application

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonjuice

Programmer
Jun 12, 2003
ZA
This might be a stupid question for you guys, but i'm new at this. Do you have to write a different kind of compile for a network version of an application written in paradox then a stand-alone computer. I know the settings in the BDE of the tables and database has to change as well as the ini file, but is there anything else?

Hello!

My experience is only with Paradox database, but it works fine with the same application on standalone and network.

Best regards
Laila

The answer depends in great part in how you have designed the application.

If EVERYTHING uses aliases, then changing the location the alias points to takes care of a HUGE portion of making the application portable as well as making it work on a network.

If your application assumes :WORK: for ANYTHING, then likely you have some 'fixing' to do.

Particularly if querying to :WORK:, and the application is in :WORK:, users' "answer" files will overwrite each other.

You may need to specifically change things so created 'temp' tables go *specifically* to :pRIV:. Likewise, forms/reports/etc that look at those tables will need to be put [locally] into the users' :pRIV:.

In general, however, Paradox properly locks tables/records as needed so that users don't step on each other.

Tony McGuire
"It's not about having enough time. It's about priorities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back