Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question about 'clob'

Status
Not open for further replies.

thore

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2002
SE
Hello,

I´m making a database to store text in. I don´t know how long sentences there will be stored in the cells and want a datatype that can handle both short words and long sentences. (100k)
Have found one type called clob that can keep up to 4 gigabyte data.
Does clob always take that amount of space or will a singel word saved in this column only take a few byte? (like varchar).
I´m using Oracle 8.0.

Thanks for any answers.

/Marcus

Contrary to varchar2, LOB is physically stored separately from the rest of the table. It takes a small amount as a locator in the table and SUFFICIENT (of course not 4G) amount somewhere else.

Actually, LOBs can also be stored within the table (in-line) as well as separately (out-of-line). Of course, if you elect to store in-line, you probably want to be very careful about the size of the object being stored.

I'd recommend you get a copy of "Oracle8i Application Developer's Guide - Large Objects" from Oracle; it covers storage considerations as well as implementation approaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back