Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about area codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timbeaux

Technical User
Jun 25, 2021
US
Let me start off with saying I'm an extreme newb. The guy that used to handle our PBX left the company last December and this was dumped in my lap. My background? Physical Security. I guess management figured that with my background of dealing with alarm and access control systems I could handle this. I just need to keep it running until the end of the year when we upgrade to VOIP. This forum has helped me out tremendously when I google problems we may have.

Here's my question...Here in Northern Va we have 2 area codes, 703 and 571. On our phones we have to dial a 1 before the 571, but not 703. At a previous building I used to sit we didn't have to dial 1 before either and it had the same PBX (CS1000). Can someone tell me how I can change this? Can I remove the 1 for all area codes?

Thanks

Although I'm more used to using SPN's as I'm in the UK, my guess is that you are using NXX etc in LD 90 for all your area codes?.

I would capture all your data first using the tool and guide contained in the attached file. after you have done this, you should be able to work out what area codes have been configured.

I'd do it for both Nortel systems. Once you have the data, you should be able to add in any missing codes.

Firebird Scrambler

Nortel & Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession & BCM / Norstar Programmer

Website = linkedin

703 and 571 overlay each other, it sounds like your listed main number (the business mane phone number) is in the 703 area codes so you don't need to dial a "1" to make calls within your local area. The system is probably treating the 571 area code as any other Toll call, you will probably have to define 571NXXXXXX as a local as opposed to Toll call.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, it has been way too many years since I worked on an M1.

I am also in the UK but NPA is Area and NXX is the local prefix, Like Firebird says use the conversion util to put it all in excel then you should be able to see what you need to do.

Just found print out from one the option 81's replaced in Canada so similar as it had 2 local codes and this was the setup in LD 90 under NPA

Local NPA's for 10 digit RLI 48 routes PSTN and delete none

NPA 587
RLI 48
SDRR NONE
ITEI NONE

NPA 780
RLI 48
SDRR NONE
ITEI NONE

then also see it in as 11 digit RLI 0 Routes PSTN and deletes 1

NPA 1587
RLI 0
SDRR NONE
ITEI NONE

NPA 1780
RLI 0
SDRR NONE
ITEI NONE

All other area codes in as NPA 1xxx and RLI that points to PSTN and deletes none

The problem being you may have local calling and toll calling within the same area code. Here we have to split out the local exchanges within the 913 so you build those as NXX's and can dial 9+ 7 digits and the toll calls within the 913 are built as NPA's so those are dialed as 9+ 1913xxxxxxx.

Here we also have 10 digit dialing, meaning we have local calling within 2 area codes in KC. 913 and 816. We usually build those as SPN's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back