Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about agent history

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiller

Technical User
Apr 15, 2003
DK
Hi out there

i have not been working with Unicenter for about 1½ year and now I need to find out about how Unicenter handles history. I need to know e.g the CPU usage and a kind of history. As far as I remember NSM only shows how the current status is. But what about how it looked like 12 hours ago??

My questions ar:

1) Does NSM have some kind of history of the monitored items?
2) If yes, is it placed in the repository or is it in a log-file on the agent? What is the path to the log-file holding these information or what table in the databases holds these hostory information?

I would appreciate any kind of help regarding this issue.

Thanks

/tiller

There's a few answers to this question, so experiment with each and see which fits your needs.

First, agents can be configured to retain trap history - that is, a copy of each trap it has sent to its DSM - for x number of traps. That number is configurable, and on some agents you can configure the specific trap types that are retained.

Second, the DSM maintains fault.log - a file that is used by nodeview and the event browser to see what messages went back and forth between the agent and DSM. This data is truncated periodically, although I don't know how often or how to modify the period.

Third, Event Management logs are retained by default for 30 days. This is also adjustable, look in caugui settings for this.

In our office, we also export the EM logs to a SQL database as well for research and reporting...

Are you looking for the alerts that the particular agent has sent? if so it should all be contained within the main EM console. if you are looking at like performance information for trending or capacity planning NSM does have a historical performance agent piece that keeps these details. If you have the performance agents installed, you should also have a performance server up and running. if not the data is stored locally @

X:\NSM\PERFDATA

I will look into the information given an update you. Thanks, nice to have a feedback with info yuo just didn't think of yourself :)

Hi
Someone knows where the Historian component saves the data it shows when you launh it ???

TIA

Américo Alonso
Certified Unicenter Engineer
Bull Uruguay S.A.

Hi
I found the log-files but was not able to see the content. it was not in a flat textfile but somehow javaobjects" stored in a file ..... hmmmm
Thanks for your help anyway......

just as a question which set of log files are you talking about. If you are looking at the performance log files you will need to install the performance trend add or run the pcm to csv conversion util on the files.

You may also want to look at the wto_AwNsm@<servername>.log for trap history information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back