Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about a BT Broadband package

Status
Not open for further replies.

spencer2780

Technical User
Apr 10, 2005
GB
Hi,

I recently installed a wiresless modem for someone and it didn't pick up and internet connection through the router.

I phoned BT and they informed me that because they were on the 18.99 a month plan it will not work and upgrading to the 24.99 a month plan will fix this.

I'm just curiouse how they monitor this?
How can they tell whether the request for an internet address is coming from a single modem or a router?

They are simply trying to fleece you out of more money! I've had a similar thing happen to me while round at someone elses house, I just laughed at them down the phone.
They tried to sell/force my friend to buy an 'upgraded' USB ADSL modem to connect to their 24.99 package, as opposed to the cheaper package.

All I can say is make sure you have the correct values in the modem, VPI/VCI etc, I've used router on all sorts of ISP packages, cheap to expensive!

They would never get away with fleesing me because if it still doesn't work after the upgrade then i know the details were wrong and i will downgrade again.

Plus i have checked the website and the same thing is on their website. I think it is quite lagit as i have also set up lots of different internet connections for people.

I will let you know if it works on the same details once they have done their "changes" to the account.

If I were you I'd check over on the ADSLGuide forums, the guys in there should be able to advise you, my BS meter is going off the chart though!;)

Spencer - They are definatley talking rubbish.

I once rang about changing ISP, while they were on the phone, we somehow got onto the topic of me using two machines on the same connection (which I was already doing).

"You cant do that" they said, "you need to get the upgraded version of your modem, which is a router with usb and ethernet ports, so you can connect two machines, it's £80 for this"

"I've already done it"

...silence from the bt rep...

The "Tech support" are useless, and they will be trained to tell people this false information because so many users of BT Packages are not very knowledgeable of IT issues so just take their word for it, thus generating huge revenues from people that did not actually need an upgrade, just a little technical know how...

I am STILL on the basic 2mbit connection which they STILL say is for one pc and I have a wireless router on mine serving my pc which is wired and my laptop which is wireless.

I would therefore suggest that you check for certain that you have your settings correct before handing over any more cash, as there is no physical reason why you can't replace your BT supplied equipment with third party gear.

Is there an error message when trying to connect? What do the logs say?

total BS...
the only thing possble that they can do is MAC authentication and if you just clone your mac onto your router.. bam youve bypassed their effort.

Just to let you know once they had "upgraded the line" the router i put in worked! I didn't change any of the settings on it!

Just to clarify they wasn't trying to flog me a router they just stated that mine wouldn't work.

It must have been to do with mac address authentication like plshlpme stated so you can only use the modem they send you with the cheaper package but i never heard of cloning a mac address mate?! Mac address are burned into each piece of networking equipment i thought.

can i also ask cyberspace if you have yours working with a router i doubt your are on the 15.99 a month package, i am really baffled if you are!

Hmm. I have to say that I have personally configured several routers on every type of BT DSL line and I have never had this problem. When they tell you that you need to upgrade, the only benefits are (depending on the package):

Increased bandwidth,
Static IP addresses,
A 'BT' Router (BT share connections),
Service Level Agreement.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

plshelpme is correct.

Alot of routers actually have the facility for the user to enter the MAC address of their old/existing router.

Spencer - I am not on the £15.99 a month package no. The cheapest line I have installed wireless on was a friend of mine, who was on a £19.99 a month package.

I still do not see how they can physically stop you from using a third party router however. They often talk rubbish to be fair.

Think about it, whehter your ADSL costs fifteen quid or fifty quid, it's still ADSL!

BT do not lock down their connections using MAC addresses.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

I didn't think they did either to be honest!

Must be something though, if it didnt work one minute then as soon as they "upgrade" the line, and with no configuration changes it suddenly works...

Thanks all for you responces, still a mystery though because as i said none of the settings were changed.

Unless we get a bt engineer to explain i think we'll never know cos for once i believe that i did actually need upgrade and wasn't being fleesed. (shock horror!)

At least i've prepared a few of you now if you put a router in on a bt 15.99 a month line and it doesn't work!

Oh yeah and thanks for that tip about entering an old mac adress never new about that!

Many thanks

Just for the record and to ensure that nobody is misslead, as far as the router is concerned there is just an internet connection on a BT line (MAC addresses are not locked). Any basic ADSL router will work on BT ADSL, I don't know what your problem was but I will put money on this not being the cause.

Grenage

I would take that bet and if your so sure they didn't use mac address then maybe you can tell me how they did it! The router didn't work and it did when they upgraded i will bet you all the money in the world on that.

Untill you have connected a wireless router to a BT 15.99 a month package don't comment cos your making me out to be a fool!

Sorry, I'm not making you out to be a fool I am simply suggesting that there is another factor here. I have indeed connected a wireless router to the basic BT ADSL package, both 'BT' branded and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back