Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about 3Com phone system

Status
Not open for further replies.

gleduc

Technical User
Feb 27, 2007
CA
Hi, we are a Nortel dealer and we would like to sell another brand of phone system.
We look for 3Com but I have some questions:

Compare to Nortel, what the price look like?
Can we have technical support easily?
It is a good product or we will always have to return to our customer?

Thanks all
gl

I am a 3Com reseller, and a 3Com Certified NBX tech.
I don't know what you pay for a Nortel system so I cannot guess.
I do find the 3com to be very competitive.
I have not had many instances where tech support was needed, but when I do, I have always had a great response.
I have had very few issues with hardware failure. Usually the customer is at fault. I have some customers that are running nbx100's that are pushing 10 years old and no issues.

Thanks for your answer.
Do you have to paid for the technican support?

gl

Not sure about that. I believe that you have to have a service contract.

how to program vlan link to another network

I to have done the 3COM NBX for years as a basic phone system it is rock sold. Many of my customers are pushing 10 years on their NBX 100s. And I also have sold the V3000 series.

The NBX's issue is in remote phone support. Since the NBX uses multicast for it conference calling remote phones cannot do conference calls and use BLF buttons.

You can get it to work if you have a VPN solution that passes multicast traffic)

Another big issue is that NBX NCP is still not NAT capable.

The last version of software I worked with was the 6.0.X release, so maybe there is a newer version where these issues have been addressed, but I don’t think so

3Com NBX as a SMB phone system - good choice
3Com NBX as a remote phone platform - better ones out there

I am a 3Com Dealer, Nortel and NEC dealer. I have been dealing with the 3Com since 2000 when NBX owned it. It is a solid system, if you are comparing IP to IP then the 3Com is very price competitive.
To call tech support, you must have a service contract on that customer. I to have not had to call in very much but when I do, the response is terrible. 50% of the time you get a 4 hour call back window, it has been getting better though. Sales support is my area is HORRIBLE. If you want to know about the new upgrades, etc. you better wanna be able to find out about it yourself.
They have tried to clean up their act because a lot of dealers are dropping them. I personally don't offer it anymore, once my base blows up, I switch them to the UX5000 by NEC. Just my opinion as a business owner and a tech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back