Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

QueryTable statement when converting from XL2003 to XL2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebrooks54

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2002
US
I have a macro (see code below) in an XL2003 spreadsheet that works fine until it is run in XL2007. It fails on the .Refresh statement with a run-time error 1004, ODBC failure.

I recorded a macro to try and recreate the code in XL2007, and noted that instead of using QueryTable.Add, XL2007 used ListObjects.Add.

I could live with that, but it is also inserting a header row, formatting the table style, and inserting filters. All I want it to do is retrieve the data rows.

I would appreciate any advice or references that will explain the difference between XL2003 and XL2007 and the way it handles QueryTable.

Code:
    With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:= _
        "ODBC;DSN=Excel Files;DBQ=" & CurDir & "\EbTemp.xls;DefaultDir=" & CurDir & ";DriverId=1046;MaxBufferSize=2048;PageTimeout=5;" _
        , Destination:=Range("A2"))

.Sql = Array( _
        "SELECT SourceData.PubDiv, SourceData.PrdType, SourceData.Author, SourceData.Title, SourceData.ISBN, SourceData.MSDue, SourceData.Whse, SourceData.`On-Sale`, SourceData.Format, SourceData.Price, Source" _
        , _
        "Data.Quantity, SourceData.`Edr/PrMgr`, SourceData.Pages, SourceData.Txin, SourceData.Cvin, SourceData.Trim, SourceData.Spine, SourceData.BkWght, SourceData.Cnpk, SourceData.`OS-Mnth`" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "FROM `Eb" _
        , _
        "Temp`.SourceData SourceData" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & _
        "WHERE SourceData.PrdType IN ('077','078','07B','045','076')" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & _
        "ORDER BY SourceData.`OS-Mnth`, SourceData.Title")
        .FieldNames = False
        .RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells
        .RowNumbers = False
        .FillAdjacentFormulas = False
        .RefreshOnFileOpen = False
        .HasAutoFormat = False
        .BackgroundQuery = True
        '.TablesOnlyFromHTML = True
        .Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
        .SavePassword = True
        .SaveData = True
    End With

Hi,

2007 has some significant changes.

I would record your macro from scratch.

You will notice that the Worksheet Object now has a ListObjects Collection and the ListObject Object has a QueryTable Object

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Skip,

Thanks very much for the feedback. I am looking at re-recording the macro, but I am not immediately seeing how to stop the macro from doing more than I want. XL2007 seems intent on inserting headings, activating filters, and applying a table-style.

All I want it to do is retreive the data rows, and leave everything else alone.

That is now what you get. It is a ListObject.

If you want just the data, you can convert to range (view the TOOLS Group in the DESIGN tab), but you loose the QueryTable.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back