Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query with tables from Multiple Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

cojiro

MIS
Mar 20, 2003
US
Here's the situation:
I have two DB connections ConnA (DB2) and ConnB (SQL Server).

I need to bind a datagrid to the results of a query which joins a table from ConnA to a table from ConnB.

Can someone please tell me how I should be going about this?

I'm relatively new to asp.net so I'm only familiar with associating a Command object with a single DBconnection (then binding the datagrid with a datareader). It doesn't seem like the good old standby is going to work in this case...

I looked through all of the examples on the web for relating tables to join them and they all were a little tough to understand. This may not be the best way to do this, but it's definitely very readable and it works. Maybe this will help someone in my situation...
Code:
    Sub JoinTables(ByRef GCC As DataTable, ByVal DEP As DataTable)
        'Function does a left join to populate GCC table with values from DEP support table
        Dim Rgcc As DataRow
        Dim Rdep As DataRow

For Each Rgcc In GCC.Rows
            For Each Rdep In DEP.Rows
                'If statement below is the join criteria.  In this case I have to use a range.
                If Rgcc.Item("BATCH_CD") >= Rdep.Item("BatchCodeLeft") And Rgcc.Item("BATCH_CD") <= Rdep.Item("BatchCodeRight") Then
                    Rgcc.Item("GLAccount") = Rdep.Item("Account")
                    Rgcc.Item("Description") = Rdep.Item("Description")

Exit For 'no need to keep processing if row is already joined

End If
            Next
        Next
    End Sub

definitely very readable
this is a relative to the person reading it. Personally I find this a bit wordy.

if you assign a primary key to the tables and create a realtionship between the 2 you essentially have an in memory database and can take full advantage of the dataset features.

it also appears that you are duplicating your efforts. why pull GLAccount and Description from Rgcc if they are present in Rdep? that's the point of the dataset. to relate the data to one another and remove duplication.

in reviewing the code above a cleaner option would be to use a dataview and filter the table. this removes the need of the inner loop
Code:
private DataView viewRelatedToSource;
public void JoinTable(DataTable destination, DataTable source)
{
   viewRelatedToSource = source.DefaultView;
   foreach(DataRow row in destination.Rows)
   {
      if (SourceContainsARowRelatingTo(row))
      {
         MapSourceValuesTo(row);
      }
   }
}

private bool SourceContainsARowRelatingTo(DataRow row)
{
   viewRelatedToSource.Filter = string.Format("'{0}' >= [BatchCodeLeft] AND '{0}' <= [BatchCodeRight]", row["Batch_CD"]);
   return viewRelatedToSource.Count == 1;
}

private void MapSourceValuesTo(DataRow row)
{
   row["GLAccount"] = viewRelatedToSource[0]["Account"];
   row["Description"] = viewRelatedToSource[0]["Description"];
}

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back