Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query With Multiple Joins to Same Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickj65

Programmer
Jun 5, 2002
US
Looking for a best practice answer for this example:

Let's say I have a main table that has 10 fields that can hold the value of a state code. For example, birth_state, current_residence_state, hs_education_state, etc. (this example is just used for ease of explanation). And the database has a corresponding state code lookup table with the state_cd and state_name.

What is the most efficient way to write a query such that I'm pulling lookup values (e.g. state_name) from the state table for each of those 10 state code fields for all the records in the main table?

Obviously I could join the state table to the main table 10 times (with 10 different aliases) for each state code field, but I'm wondering if there is a more efficient way to write this query.

TIA,

Rick

Do it in the front end. Grab the lookup table once, then use it for all the values. For an example, think of a bound combobox in a form where the bound first column is hidden.

[COLOR=black #d0d0d0]My alarm clock causes time travel. When I hit snooze, no apparent time passes before the alarm sounds again, but the universe has in fact moved forward through time by ten minutes![/color]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back