Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query with Date/Time Calculated Field

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenman

Programmer
Dec 21, 2000
US

I have a calculated field that is being created in a query by extracting the Date and Time from a Text field called DateTimeTextField (Because there is stuff other than text in this field sometimes). I am using IIF statements to filter out the text, but will not include that here, as it will just make it more complicated. What I have is

Select DateValue(DateTimeTextField) & " " & TimeValue(DateTimeTextField) as Datetimefield
from T1
where DateValue(DateTimeTextField) & " " & TimeValue(DateTimeTextField) >= [forms]![frmSel]![StartDT]

When I run this query, and enter in the variable, I get inconsistent results. I am 99% sure that the problem is that the field that I am creating on the fly is not of type DateTime, but is of type text which means 1/1/2001 is different than 01/01/2001. Is there a way to make my calc field of type Datetime?

Thanks,
Kenman

Since entry isn't limited to Date by datatype you ought to test your value first with IsDate function, e.g. (are you in a module or is this pure SQL--not sure if the function's available in the latter):

Dim varTextValue

varTextValue = txtMyText

If IsDate(varTextValue) Then . . .

Also, look up the CDate function in 'Help'. It can force the type to Date.

MichaelRed
mred@duvallgroup.com
There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back