Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

query vs stored procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

wes987654

Programmer
Mar 17, 2011
US
I have a query that runs perfectly and it uses a function fn_split. It works just fine but when I put this query in a procedure it no longer works and tells me that fn_split is undefined?... Any ideas? I would also like to know what the ; infront of the with is for if someone would enlighten me. THANKS!

working query:
Code:
Declare 
@OrderList varchar(50)
set @OrderList = replace('SBCORD10949415, SBCORD10953377',' ','')

;with cte as (select * from fn_split(@OrderList,','))

select  T.GPItemNumber, cte.*, case when T.OrderNumber IS NULL then 0 else 1 end as hasItem from cte LEFT JOIN UserTemplate T on cte.cValue = T.OrderNumber
failing SP:
Code:
ALTER  PROCEDURE [dbo].[procGetItemnumbers]
@OrderList varchar(50)
AS
    SET NOCOUNT ON;

;with cte as (select * from fn_Split(@OrderList,','))
select  T.GPItemNumber, cte.*, case when T.OrderNumber IS NULL then 0 else 1 end as hasItem from cte LEFT JOIN UserTemplate T on cte.cValue = T.OrderNumber

Use dbo.fn_Split instead of just fn_Split. When you're using UDFs, it's always a good idea to add a schema to avoid confusion.

The ; in front of the with is required by CTE definition. The last statement before cre must end with the ;

BTW, in newer versions of SQL Server ; at the end of each statement will be required, so you may try to start a habit ending each statement with a ;
(Although I myself find it difficult to change the habit).

PluralSight Learning Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back