Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query to return the most recent rows of data

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBLatta

Technical User
Oct 27, 2008
US
Hi all. I'm trying to write a PSQL query in Crystal Reports which will pull only the most current data for each product from a sales history file. The data looks like this (only not sorted), and is contained in a table called ORLINH:

Custkey Itemkey Location OrdDate UnitPrice

ABCCompany Widget1 Springfield 12/16/08 1.29
ABCCompany Widget1 Hollywood 12/15/08 1.35
ABCCompany Widget1 Springfield 12/07/08 1.20
XYZ Inc Widget1 Atlanta 12/19/08 1.40
ABCCompany Widget1 Hollywood 11/30/08 1.32
XYZ Inc Widget1 Atlanta 12/11/08 1.39

I have found plenty of examples of queries which "should" work if I only needed to aggregate on one field, but as you can see from the data, "Custkey", "Itemkey" & "Location" need to be combined in order to determine the last price a given customer was charged for an item from a given warehouse. I have tried using a subquery to identify the last OrdDate for a given combination, and that seems to work, but I can't find a way to pull the associated last UnitPrice.

Code:
SELECT "ORLINH"."Custkey", "ORLINH"."Itemkey", "ORLINH"."Location", Max("ORLINH"."Unitprice") as LastPrice,  Max("ORLINH"."Invdate") as LastInvoice
FROM   "ORLINH" "ORLINH"
WHERE "ORLINH"."INVDATE" =
(SELECT MAX("ORLINH"."INVDATE") AS Maxdate FROM "ORLINH" AS X WHERE X."Custkey"="ORLINH"."Custkey" AND X."Itemkey"="ORLINH"."Itemkey" AND X."Location"="ORLINH"."Location")
GROUP BY "ORLINH"."Itemkey", "ORLINH"."Location", "ORLINH"."Custkey"

I know Max("ORLINH"."UnitPrice") is wrong, as it is giving me the highest ever price for the Customer/Itemkey/Location combination rather than the most recent, but I had to put some kind of aggregate into the query for that field to make it run at all.

I am running Crystal Reports 10.0.5.820 and Pervasive SQL 9.5.

In crystal, go to the Database tab and select distinct. Also most tables have a unique column, you might try to select max of the unique field associated with the key fields. In the ARHIST table, the unique is the TransUniqueID.

Good Luck
Cathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back