Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query to Find Records from Table A that are not in Table B - HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vem786

Technical User
Dec 2, 2003
US
Hi:
I have 2 tables Table A & Table B. Table A has Field "Name_TableA" & Table B has Field "Name_TableB". There are certain common records between BOTH the tables. But my query has to FIND the Records that EXIST in Table A but NOT IN Table B. So I use this query --

Select [Table A].[Name_TableA] FROM [Table A] WHERE NOT EXISTS (select NULL FROM [Table B] WHERE [Table A].[Name_TableA] = [Table B].[Name_tableB]);

But I get to see records that EXISt in Table B as well.

Any Ideas on this Query???

Thanks!!!

Check out Access help for the Find Unmatched Query Wizard......

Hoc nomen meum verum non est.

I think you would want something like this:
SELECT [TableA].*
FROM [Name_TableA] LEFT JOIN [TableB] ON [TableA].[Name_TableA] = [TableA].[Name_TableB]
WHERE ([TableB].[Name_TableB] Is Null);

Try it and see how you get on.

Sorry I think it shoudl be this ignore previous message.

SELECT [TableA].*
FROM [TableA] LEFT JOIN [TableB] ON [TableA].[Name_TableA] = [TableB].[Name_TableB]
WHERE ([TableB].[Name_TableB] Is Null);

Vem786 - your Not Exists clause should start with "Select * from ...", not "Select Null"

You can also use TheRiver's SQL which is what the Unmatched Records Wizard would generate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back