Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query to build fields dynamically

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtokach

MIS
Jul 1, 2002
US
Hi there,

I have a table where columns are added frequently. I'd like to create a query, in Access, that only list some fields based on the field name. For instance, five columns are prefixed with "MS04", like MS04-011 and MS04-012. The query should build the results table dynamically and should only contain fields that begin with MS04.

Thanks!

Your table is not normalized. If you normalize your table you will:
1 probably never have to add more fields
2 have the ability using a crosstab to limit the returned "columns/fields"

Is there a good reason why you have fields like this? Is it possible to normalize your data?

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

The table contains the following:

Code:
workstation hotfix01-01 hotfix01-02 hotfix02-01 hotfix02-02 etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------
computer1   YES         NO          YES         YES
computer2   YES         YES         NO          YES
Since M$ comes out with a new hotfix frequently, I setup MBSA to scan the boxes, generate data, compare the data columns with the DB columns, if there is a new hotfix, a new column is created. This is a very hands off approach, and while it fails ACID, it saves time and $$$. I can manually add the columns to the Access query, but would rather autogenerate the query table.

I am open to suggestions regarding my format.

I would use a more normalized table structure that has a structure like:

tblWSHotFix
WorkStation
HotFixNumber
DateOf

tblHotFixes
HotFixNumber
HotFixDate

tblWorkStations
WorkStation

Then, when a new hot fix comes out, it gets added to tblHotFixes. When a workstation gets updated, it adds a record to tblWSHotFixes. You can then create a crosstab query with the HotFix number as the column heading.

If this doesn't work, you may need to use code to modify the SQL of a saved query to display a limited group of fields.

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back