Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query that runs in Access but is not working in VB

Status
Not open for further replies.

dafi

Programmer
Apr 19, 2001
RO
the query looks like this:

SELECT calls_listing.dialnumber
FROM calls_listing
WHERE (Len(Trim(calls_listing!dialnumber)) In (10,11)) And ((calls_listing!dialnumber) Like ('072*'));

in Access where i wrote the query it executes fine.
in VB where i have to use it returns no rows !!!!

I'm not completely sure but try taking out the calls_listing. from the SELECT part and take out the calls_listing! from the FROM statement. THeir aren't needed in any other environment other then Access from what I have seen.

The like expression should use % instead of * as the wild card character. Also for use with dbs other than access you should/must use calls_listing.dialnumber not calls_listing!dialnumber in a query (this is not the cause of the problem).

Well i tried with % instead *, . instead ! and is still not working.
Actually on VB i use always . and not !

In fact i cannot get rid of call_listing since the where clause is part of a join-type query on 4 tables.

I suppose it can be a problem with Len and Trim functions.

Plus, there are the same problems when using left function

I couldn't find a comprehensive Ms SQL Jet Engine that lists the functions for strings .... and I think that's the important issue here

Bob , goddamn !
nice to find you :)
SonOfEmidec1100 give you the right solution for your problem.
So:
1. Use % instead of * , # or ? or other mistical signs ....
2. Make shure that the brankets are in place.(all of them)
3. There is no need to use ! or . to in your query since you have only one table.

I tested (I create a table and tested qery from vb and works fine) this and is ok:

SELECT dialnumber
FROM calls_listing
WHERE ((Len(Trim(dialnumber)) In (10,11)) And (dialnumber Like ('072%'));

Call me if is working (or not)!
[sub]xcuse my english[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back