Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Query System Versioned Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

G12Consult

Programmer
May 12, 2016
AU
I need to query a system versioned table which will group by date but I don't know what to GROUP BY

Code:
 SELECT COUNT(*) 'UNPROCESSED' 
FROM [PROCESSING].[xxx].[MASTER_xxx_FUTURE_STATE_BUILD] 
FOR SYSTEM_TIME BETWEEN '2019-01-09 16:59:00.000' AND '2019-01-14 16:59:00.000' 
WHERE DM_RecordStatus = 0]SELECT COUNT(*) 'UNPROCESSED'
GROUP BY ??

so the code above without the group by gives me a total of 148752

What I want is something like:

09/01/2019 45500
10/01/2018 28242
11/01/2018 45421

Try CONVERT(date, SYSTEM_TIME) as a field and your GROUP BY expression.

Tamar

Tried that and gave me an invalid column name on the system_time

If this is SQL Server, try:

SQL:
SELECT Convert(Date,SYSTEM_TIME) [SysDate], COUNT(*) [UNPROCESSED]
FROM [PROCESSING].[xxx].[MASTER_xxx_FUTURE_STATE_BUILD] 
WHERE SYSTEM_TIME BETWEEN '2019-01-09 16:59:00.000' AND '2019-01-14 16:59:00.000' 
AND DM_RecordStatus = 0
GROUP BY Convert(Date,SYSTEM_TIME)

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

G12Consult,
Your first post had the column SYSTEM_TIME. Where did it come from?

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

I used a website that provided that code and it worked (without the group by). I do not have a column in my table that references that name.

Website = Link

Well, the docs tell you can only use such FOR SYSTEM_TIME clauses, it's not a real column, it's metadata SQL Server knows about records of temporal tables from transaction logs.

So you need a real date or datetime column in your table which is set with GetDate() or Convert(date,GetDate()) and group by that. You can't group by SYSTEM_TIME.

PS: suggests, that you must have datetime2 columns to define PERIOD FOR SYSTEM_TIME.
So, if you let SSMS script the CREATE TABLE statement for your temporal table, what does it tell?

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke Software Engineering

Going by the tutorials, here's how to group all data by dates in a temporal table:

1. generating the table
Code:
CREATE TABLE test   
(    
     id int identity(1,1) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED  
   , atext varchar(50) NOT NULL  
   , SysStartTime datetime2 GENERATED ALWAYS AS ROW START NOT NULL  
   , SysEndTime datetime2 GENERATED ALWAYS AS ROW END NOT NULL  
   , PERIOD FOR SYSTEM_TIME (SysStartTime,SysEndTime)     
)    
WITH (SYSTEM_VERSIONING = ON);
2. creating some data (and history data)
Code:
insert into test (atext) values ('hello'),('world')
-- making history
update test set atext ='bye' where atext='hello'

3. Selecting data
Code:
--only current data (just as usual, that's all data in the main table)
select * from test 
-- all data including history data
select * from test for system_time ALL
---grouping by dates:
select convert(date,SysStartTime) as DataOfDate, count(*) from test for system_time ALL group by convert(date,SysStartTime)
--or by id and date:
select id, convert(date,SysStartTime) as DataOfDate, count(*) from test for system_time ALL group by id,convert(date,SysStartTime)

SYSTEM_TIME can only be used to filter data for a period. Notice the highlighted remark, to make sargeable (fast) queries you need to know the time period you query for in UTC:
Docs said:
...filters in form of <period column> {< | > | =, ...} date_condition [highlight #FCE94F]AT TIME ZONE 'UTC'[/highlight].

That also means if you want to group by dates in your time zone, you better have an additional column with a simple datetime not bound to a time zone or bound to your time zone.
The main ingredient to get all data in current state and historical states is to include a clause FOR SYSTEM_TIME ALL, you can also use this clause to filter for a period of say last month, last quarter or year, just remember this is in UTC time zone, always.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke Software Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back